Once per month, we have an afternoon service. We purposefully try not to replicate what we do in our morning meeting. We usually watch a video, break into discussion groups and then discuss two or three questions. We then have a plenary feedback session before watching a second video, to push our thinking a bit further, and doing the same again.
This month, we considered the question of evil and suffering. Here is what we did:
- How does sin allow God to display his glory?
- Exo 14:4, 17f; Rom 9:17; Eze 20:13-14; 1 Sam 12:20-22; Isa 43:25; Psa 25:11; Hab 2:14
- Why is it good that God should display his glory?
- Psa 16:11; Rom 5:8, 8:28
- Why is it loving of God to get us to serve and praise his glory?
- Thinking about the earlier section, and your answer to Q1, what is the goal of suffering and why can the Christian genuinely call it good
- How can we ensure that our lives are oriented towards God’s glory?